When you find that you and your partner are thinking about getting separated, it is good to go first for filing the divorce. Today we will discuss some benefits of filing the divorce first. Let’s get started.
1) Take Control/No Point in Dragging It too Long: Waiting for weeks or months for taking a divorce can be an emotional trauma to go through. If it is not certain that when your spouse will file a divorce, then it is better to file the divorce first and take control of your own life. You can hire a divorce lawyer and prepare yourself for the legal procedures and strategies that can give you a head start in your divorce.
2) Evidence and Document Preparation: You will have the advantage of gathering all the evidence and prepare the documents that will help you with the financial claims. With this, you can get a good early start of the proceedings and ensure you are fully prepared when the time comes.
3) Avoid Any Tricks: A spouse may try to hide the assets that have a good amount of valuation. By filing the divorce first, you can make sure that you don’t have to face any tricky maneuvering by your ex. Also this gives you a chance to protect your jointly owned assets.
4) Be the First to Present Your Case: When you present your case first, it goes first for the litigation. In this process, you get the chance to make a good impression on the early stages. When you know the effect of filing the divorce first, it will affect the timeline of litigation and help you to define your strategies according to your situation.
5) Choice of Jurisdiction: There are different laws and regulations in different regions. If you and your spouse living in a different region then the person who filed first has an advantage that he/she can choose where the litigation takes place. The region where you live might offer you an edge when your case comes to the court.
6) Financial Prep: Divorce can be costly so its important to plan in advance to ensure you have enough funds to pay your lawyer and your spouse in terms of spousal or child support.
These are some major advantages of filing your divorce first. To get such decisions, you need suggestions from experts and for that, we are here to help. If you are looking for a top divorce lawyer in Toronto, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com or call at 416-929-6821.